We are looking for someone with a passion for the local countryside and the relevant skills to join our committed and friendly board of Trustees to support us with sound financial oversight.
Job Title: Voluntary Treasurer
Hours: Attending six meetings per year and meeting with staff and external auditors as required.
Responsible to: Chair of the Board of Trustees
Organisation and Role Summary: The Colne Valley Regional Park is the first large taste of countryside to the west of London. Covering 43 square miles, the Park includes some popular visitor attractions such as Black Park and Rickmansworth Aquadrome, and many hidden gems including nature reserves, ancient woodlands and network of paths around 200km of rivers and 70+ lakes. However, it faces significant threats such as HS2, potential expansion of Heathrow airport, motorway service areas and a host of other development proposals. We take an active role as fierce champions for the countryside and the positive benefits it provides for the three million people who live within 10 miles of the Park.
We are looking for someone with a passion for the local countryside and the relevant skills to join our committed and friendly board of Trustees to support us with sound financial oversight. Groundwork South are responsibility for day-to-day administration of finances, the Treasurers role is to oversee Groundwork South’s financial management of the Charity to ensure we are compliant with Charity Commission expectations and reporting requirements.
Main Responsibilities and Tasks
Have oversight of the work of Groundwork South who manage the finances of the Trust on a day to day basis.
- Ensure the charity operates within the financial guidelines set out in legislation by the Charity Commission, in the Charity’s Constitution and by the Board
- Work with Groundwork’s Finance Administrator to support strong governance and financial controls
- Identify and bring to the attention of the Board any financial risks facing the Charity
- Ensure the Charity’s financial resources are sufficient to meet needs
- Scrutinise the proposed annual budget and quarterly financial reports that are prepared by Groundwork South. Advise and guide the Board accordingly
- Contribute to the annual audit process.
To assist the Chair and other Trustees
- By ensuring that the Board of Trustees fulfils its obligations for financial governance
- Keep the Board informed of its financial duties and responsibilities
- Advise the Board on financial implications arising from Board decisions
- Work with the Managing Agent to ensure financial information is presented in a way that facilitates good financial governance, and enables the Board to fulfil its legal and statutory responsibilities
We are seeking a Trustee who has:
- A passion for the countryside of the Colne Valley Regional Park.
- A background in finance or willingness to learn (training can be provided)
- Able to commit sufficient time to the role
- Ability to think strategically and forward plan
- Ability to digest, present and critically evaluate a range of information, including written reports, statistics, and verbal communications
- Willingness to challenge and engage
This is a voluntary, unremunerated, position. Reasonable expenses will be reimbursed and training can be provided if required.
To apply please send a short (1-2 sides of A4) letter to [email protected]
If you have any queries please contact:
- Trustee, Membership Secretary and Acting Treasurer: Paul Graham at [email protected]
- Managing Agent: Stewart Pomeroy at [email protected]