Harmondsworth Moor

From Gravel Pit to Country Park

Before the Enclosure of Harmondsworth Moor in 1819 the land was part of the common land of the parish.  Once enclosed parts of it were sold off, however most of it was acquired by the council.

At one time the Moor was used to store the stones from the old Waterloo Bridge.  Some of these stone now make up the landscape of the Moor, today.

In the early 1980s the Moor was reopened for gravel extraction.  Materials were extracted from old pits to construct the M25.

The Harmondsworth Moor was later restored and became a country park in 2000 and is the largest public park to be built in the London area in the last 100 years.

Click on links to view images of Harmondsworth Moor